Guatemala Service Trip
August 4-11, 2018
in conjunction with Northwest Community Hospital
Join us for a special departure of Ties Journeys of Discovery focusing on service to others (along with some play time.) We will base at the Porta Antigua Hotel in the charming city of Antigua. Together, we will will:
- Deliver water filters and bunk beds to families in the rural village of Yalu via the Bunk Bed & Water Filter Project.
- Provide health care to rural Guatemalan women at St. Joseph’s Women’s and Children’s Medical Clinic.
- Spend time at El Amor de Patricia giving children the attention they so deserve.
Your days will be full. Your hearts will be fuller.
We will also visit a coffee cooperative to learn about growing, harvesting, drying, roasting and yes, tasting Guatemalan coffee. Coffee cooperatives change the playing field for their members, who individually have a hard time making a living. Dedicated to sustainable agriculture and committed to working together for the common good, community cooperatives strengthen the potential of the families involved.
We’ll play a little too. You’ll have the option to zip line, hike Pacaya Volcano, take in the Chocolate Museum or Jade Museum. Or maybe you want to have some R & R time at the hotel pool and spa, or shop in the charming city of Antigua, where we will base. Free time will give you a chance to plan something you would especially like to do.
Not a medical professional? No worries. Guatemalan women typically have lots of children, and by necessity, many will bring children to their clinic appointment. Non-medical professionals will have a vital role in helping with the children during appointments and in logistically running the clinic. (If you prefer not to have a role at the clinic, you will have free time in Antigua.)
When you get to the donation pages, please scroll down to the link for
Teams of Team Ties.
When you donate, please add a note that you are donating on behalf of
the Ties Guatemala Service Trip.
Guatemala Culture Trip
Often described as the Land of Eternal Spring, Guatemala’s charms and wonders captivate visitors. This week long tour includes time in colonial Antigua, relaxing Panajachel and several culturally rich villages on Lake Atitlán.
Traveling with Journeys of Discovery, you’ll meet Guatemalans where they live and participate in hands on projects that make a difference in the lives of the people served.
While enjoying the company of others interested in this fascinating country, you’ll marvel at breathtaking landscapes, witness time-honored traditions, and celebrate a tapestry of cultures.
- The charming city of Antigua
- Chichicastenango Market
- Visit a school, engage with school children
- Daily life experiences
- “Chicken Bus” Workshop
- Spend time at a coffee cooperative in San Miguel de Escobar where you’ll also enjoy a traditional lunch
- Architectural and historical highlights
- Travel to the Highlands
- Experience Mayan life
- Zipline at Lake Atitlan Nature Reserve
- Boat ride on Lake Atitlan to San Juan La Laguna Village
- Visit a local weaving cooperative in San Juan la Laguna, a village on Lake Atitlan
- Painting class in San Juan La Luguna Village
- Assisted by an English speaking Guatemalan guide
We look forward to hearing from you!
Looking for a Guatemalan travel experience with a focus on adoption, staffed by an adoption professional? See Guatemalan Ties–Adoptive Family Homeland Journeys!